Monday, January 11, 2010

That's What Big Girls Do


I have been blessed with a very industrious little girl. She loves to help and do all the things that her daddy and I do. Although I feel sorry for her in the sense that she inherited her cleanliness from her Grandma Barela. Now don't misunderstand me I love my mother-in-law and she is a very clean person, that's why I feel sorry for Emy, she is neater than I am. I will walk past the same piece of garbage on the floor, I am ashamed to admit, several times before I think, hmm I should throw that away. Emy sees it once, picks it up, and promptly takes it to the garbage. She is happy to put her toys away when asked and makes sure that when she returns her books to the shelf the spine is sticking out. A true blessing for me but I can see some frustration that might build on her part as she gets older, and if she has inherited any of her father's or my temper. I had better pick up the slack and be a better keeper at home so I do not cause my children frustration.


Lately we have been toying with the idea of potty training. A few months back she had showed some interest and so I bought her a potty seat. Not intending to do any serious training just to get her used to the idea of having one and what it's for.


Today has been a breakthrough day in the non-potty training- training. She has used her potty seat 3 times. Although I know that she is probably too young to be fully potty trained statistically, I still couldn't resist heaping on the praise and prizes that I felt she had "earned". But I am not getting my hopes up of a fully potty trained 18-month old or even at 19 or 20 months.


So after she used her seat this morning we went to the store and bought her a tiara, which came with matching clip-on earrings, and a pack of Dora stickers.


Potty Princess!

(It's empty, I wouldn't take a picture with anything inside I promise.)

This brought me to the realization that my little girl is getting so BIG so fast and is such a big help around the house. If I am cleaning she wants to clean so I will give her a rag and let her wipe things down.




Or if Daddy is working outside, which is where she would rather be anyway, she wants to help him.




Recently I discovered that she loves the carpet sweeper. Since the handle is adjustable I took out one piece and it is the perfect size for her.







And for her hard work Daddy always has time for a little dance and a dip with a kiss.



Signed:

Mommy to the Industrious Potty Princess Emelina Joleen


P.S. There was an adorable picture of Emy trying on one of my unmentionable tops but I decided that was better saved for private family viewing only ;)












2 comments:

Debbie said...

Sounds like a you have a girly that will be one of those terribly organized and tidy women whom the rest of us try not to envy. :)
Kate has been randomly using the toilet for the past year and a half with irregular results up until recently, and I have tried not to push her into getting serious about it before she is ready. (haha who am I kidding...she wouldn't let me do such a thing!) :D Basically with the same idea you have...to get her used to using the toilet. I always said I wasn't potty training...but hey! if she's willing I'll put her on. Cause for every time she makes it to the toilet, (even if its only a few times a week, or every other week) its one less stinky diaper to change. Kate has finally made it to the point where she is only irregular with the potty part, and gets very distressed over an accident,so we're finally beginning to make some progress I guess. I broke out the pretty panties for some motivation and she seemed pretty excited about it, but we have a little more work before we progress to those. I just hang them up in front of the toilet and let her admire them and dream about them while she does her stuff. :)
Bet Emy will be 'stinky trained' (if you'll allow me the phrase) by the time the baby comes...if not actually potty trained. She is a smart kid. :)

Anonymous said...

The earrings really complete the look. -kdk