We are down to one dog at our house. Our beasts went out for a run a few nights back and only our dear Penny came home. We drove around and didn't see any signs of Riley on their normal drag so I am assuming that he was taken in. Penny won't go to anyone but Dave or myself, Riley on the other hand wasn't quite as wary. To be honest my emotions on the subject are rather shocking. I am relieved. As my husband said it is better to take good care of one dog than mediocre care of two. We didn't have the heart to give him away and yet I never felt like he got the attention he deserved. So with that in mind here is a list of things I will and won't miss about Riley Rascalion:
I will miss seeing him all cuddled up on the floor or in the sand box with Penny.
I will not miss his puppy behavior. ie. chewing, digging and generally tearing our gate apart to get to Penny who likes to jump the fence.
I will miss how he insisted on sleeping on my side of the bed if Dave was gone over night.
I won't miss his aparent blind spot for the kids. He always took the route that would be the tightest squeeze to get through, generally knocking down a child in the process.
On the other hand besides occasionally running them over he was very good with the girls. If he got fed up with what they were doing he would get up and leave.
And finally there will no longer be a 2 foot high ring of brown dealth on all of the plants in our yard.
Mostly I am sorry that Penny has lost her friend. He was a good dog for us and I am sure he will make some family very happy, once he becomes old and lazy like Penny.
Goodbye Riley, I hope you have found a kind, happy home.
1 comment:
Aw, sad. But, I know how you feel about the relief too. That is SO hard.
Post a Comment