Friday, April 22, 2011

Toy Organization

A few months back I reorganized my children's toys . . . again. As this time it has worked pretty well I thought I would share it with you. There are a few toy areas in our house, I am of the mind that my children play in the living room and therefore there toys should be there too. Plus their bedroom is barely big enough for both beds, a rocking chair, and a toy box (made by my daddy). So here is the toy nook as I like to call it. It's really a hallway between the rest of the house and the office and laundry room (where I am standing to get this shot).

 So to break it down for you, the shelf on the wall is for toys that require a little more supervision or just extra crayon storage. The shelf on the floor is for spontaneous independent play. Books on the top two shelves, small toys on the bottom and bulky toys in the bin on the side.

 One clear plastic bin for each girls age appropriate toys and one for animals and people that they share.

 Labels are amazing. I know my girls can't read yet but it helps mommy and daddy be on the same page without constant pow-wows over where the toys go.
 The top shelf houses a bin for diaper changing supplies and an art bin (crayons and coloring books)

 I had the idea to help my girls learn to tell time by placing a clock low enough that they can see it. Emy loves it and often runs to it to tell me that it is 8 O'clock time for bed or whatever she thinks would be funny to say even if it is 2 in the afternoon. We found this clock at ikea for under $5 I want to say it was $1.99. Anyway I think it is perfect for this use, if it gets broken, no big deal. Emy wanted to help daddy hang the clock.


 Here is another toy nook in the other hallway. I am a big fan of these shoe box size bins I use them for everything! Sewing supplies, yarn, separating fabrics, and someday I will have to show you my bathroom cupboard!  They are indispensable. I try to only allow one or two bins out at a time which really cuts down on the clutter on the floor. Emy knows that in order to play with something new she has to put away what she is currently using.
This bin is strictly for library books. I feel that these should be read as often as possible since we will only have them a short while. Therefore I try to keep them at hand. It also makes it easy to find them when it is time to return them.
This is a different subject but I just thought these were too cute not to share.
Emy is helping daddy fix his "hick-up" truck.

So that is my two cents on toy organization. Any thing that doesn't fit into this system I throw into the toy box in the girls room. And once that is full it's time to purge . . . Which I leave to Dave because he is much better at that than I am.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

WOW! Love your organization skills. You've always got great ideas! I think I shall have to try this out too as our current toy shelf is broken and we've accumulated several new things since it was installed.
The pics at the bottom are too cute! :)

NaomiG said...

The hick-up photos are the best.

I could clean out and organize the girls toys every month... I swear. I hate the dumb things, they make me crazy. The problem is that they literally play with everything they have, so I always feel guilty throwing things out, because they do play with them. I don't think they have an unreasonable amount of toys, I think we just don't have enough room for the toys they do have.

I love your organization system... it's great that it's working for you! I'm keeping up on all the organization that I've done so far this year--just been working in the yard lately, so haven't gotten much done inside the house the last few weeks. :-)

Brooke said...

"hick up truck" is the perfect name of something for an Idaho boy to drive (I feel I can say this since we've lived there as well : ) ). Those pictures are too stinkin' cute.