Saturday, March 17, 2012

Trolling for Chicks

Today we went to Battle Ground and picked up some chicks. . . 


Since it is getting close to spring and our chickens are a few years old now my Beloved decided we needed to pick up a few chicks to maintain our flock. We started raising chickens for eggs last November, my dad had built a mobile chicken coup and had three chickens and a rooster, that he no longer wished to keep. So he gave them to us. We live in town and couldn't keep the rooster and after Harriet, a feisty Rhode Island Red, broke her leg and had to be "put down" we are now left with only two chickens. Although oddly enough the egg productivity has gone up since Harriet's demise. Henrietta, who has always been a consistent layer, has continued to provide an egg a day however Dora, who has always been sketchy at best on laying, has suddenly upped production to nearly one a day.


 Introductions




Ethel
This is my Beloved's choice. A Black Sex Link, Ethel is a feisty little beast. This is my Beloved's curse, at least I see it that way, He thinks it's funny. Every animal he picks out ends up being feisty. Even after he knows the animals disposition he leans toward the feisty ones.


Another Name
Belloise' choice is an adorable albeit noisy Silver Laced Wyandotte. We gave Belloise a few name options but she keeps saying "another name". 


Hazel
Ballerina's choice of chickens is a Light Brahma with a sweet disposition and feathers on her feet. This breed is apparently good for both eggs and meat. I doubt we will eat it when the time comes. .  . unless we have a volunteer to pluck it. . . 


Olga
My personal choice, Olga is a California White. This breed is known for it's egg production. That's what I'm looking for!

The girls love the chicks already and we have to continually tell them to let the chicks be. I had to let Ballerina nap on the couch near the chicks since she insisted that she needed to protect them so that Penny wouldn't frustrate them. Frustrate is her way of saying bother, or harm, or really anything that she wants it to mean at any given moment. . . She's a true American. . . just like her mommy.

~And So That's What She Did.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Olga is a very eggy name! -kdk

NaomiG said...

Aw! Baby chicks are so cute. I would love to get some for egg laying purposes, and our yard here is PERFECT for them. But, I keep imagining Garrett getting promoted again, and us having to move, and having chicks that we can't take with us and have to turn into meat really fast, and that sounds stressful and not fun... and so I'm not getting chickens, haha. I'll virtually enjoy yours.