Monday, August 1, 2011

A Frog, A Bulldozer, Some Friends and a Silly Child

A Frog
My husband is always bringing water animals home from work. This last week he brought home a new pet for the pond.


The girls were intrigued.


That is until Thumbelina touched it and the frog leaped out of daddy's hand. Then the girls began to scream. . . This encourages me, I am raising them well :).




He likes to hang out in the center of the pond or under the leaves along the edge.

A Bulldozer

On Saturday we took a snack and some drinks to visit Daddy at work. He was working on a private job, clearing a mound where a house had once stood. Apparently the lot is prone to flooding so the original owners built a slight hill to lift their house above the flood line. The house has since been condemned and demolished. My Beloved's job was to level the mound.


Since we were there gave the girls a little ride.

I felt a little sad that such a nice piece of land had come to this. I am sure that at one time it would have been a delightful piece of land. Great open field plenty of room and sun for an orchard and a garden. The mound was smack in the center. The property was at the end of a quiet street with a school and a park only a few blocks away. Sad that such an ideal location had become a hideout for people with unsavory motives. The mound made it hard for police to safely patrol, which in turn made the surrounding neighborhood a little less safe. So I understand the reasons it's just sad that someone had to leave what had to have been at one time a lovely and peaceful place.


I pondered all of this while sitting in the car with my feet out the window, reading a book on potty training.



I did all of this while waiting for my children to tire of the dozer and the dog to stop chasing rodents through the field.
 

Thumbelina wanted another ride and so did Penny.


Then it was time for Daddy to get down to business.


And we had to leave to get ready for some dinner guests.

Friends

You know how most of the time when you throw a party you can only count on about 75% of your guests showing up? We had 150% show up.


It was great. Our neighbors stopped by so their daughter could play with Thumbelina and so we invited them to stay. A friend of my Beloved showed up for something else and so we invited him to stay. I loved it.


I think we need a bigger back porch. . . or perhaps a new location for the grill.

When the sun went down we headed inside. My Beloved tried to rustle up some enthusiasm for a fire in the fire pit but no such luck this night. I was okay with that.


This sweet little flower just loved our Penny. She was crawling all over her, it was so sweet, Penny loved it.

Silly Child

Thumbelina: Are you upper case kidding?

~And So That's What She Did.

2 comments:

The Chatty Housewife said...

That's quite the frog! Good for keeping mosquito larvae out of your pond for sure. I wonder how long he will stick around?

NaomiG said...

What a great day! My girls freak out about frogs too. :-) I also feel that I am raising them right. Upper case kidding, hahahahah!!!!