Saturday, July 16, 2011

Butter Burst Pancakes

This is my new favorite breakfast food. In fact I like it so much, I often eat the leftovers as a snack that afternoon.


I decided to expand on my regular pancake recipe. The thought occurred to me that I would like butter pockets in my pancakes and so Butter Burst Pancakes were born.


Start with 1 cup of flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 4 count 'em four tablespoons of COLD butter. 1 cup milk and 1 beaten egg also go into the mix but not yet.(the other bottle is vanilla I originally added about a 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of this but that's just if you want an extra sweetness.)


Mix all of your dry ingredients together and then using a pastry blender, cut in the butter but not too much you want lots of chunks for your butter pockets.

Like this or even a little more chunky is fine.

In a separate container whisk or fork your wet ingredients together (that was 1 cup milk and 1 beaten egg and an optional 1/2 or 1 teaspoon vanilla).


Just before you are ready to start the cooking process mix it together. Not completely just a few swirls around to coat the flour but DO NOT disturb the butter. This picture is actually a little over stirred so go for chunkier.


Using a 1/8 cup measure pour on your medium-high skillet.


If you want these to taste like the real deal Hollifield you need to use a well seasoned cast iron skillet but if you don't mind second best use any kind of skillet that you want. I've used both and they turn out fine. Granny always used the former.


The butter pools into delicious pockets of creamy goodness. . . yummy!


Once the edges are no longer shiny and the bubbles in the center have started to pop go ahead and flip it over. This should take about 1-3 minutes depending on the heat of your pan.


Ooooh pretty.


Pile them high and serve alone or with someone . . . or with syrup.

I hope that you enjoy these as much as I do. . . I think I'll go make more right now.

~And So That's What She Did.

P.S. If you have kiddos who loves things multi-colored. simply pour individual pancake servings into small bowls, add food coloring and swirl, not too much, you don't want to disturb the butter. Pour onto your hot pan and cook like normal. Avoid looking them directly in the eye as they tend to mesmerize.




P.P.S. Rainbow Burst Pancake(see P.S.) tend to turn out a little thinner than their cousins Butter Burst Pancakes, just so you know.

1 comment:

NaomiG said...

Those look SO delish! :-) I think the butterburst idea is genius! :-) My kids would love the colored ones so much!