Monday, February 13, 2012

Hawaii Trip-Days 6-9

Okay here is a catch up post. I found this the other day and thought "BLAST, I never finished that!" So here it is. I started in again about halfway through, so it is a bit more vague than the other Hawaii posts. I wrote down a lot of details while on the trip but I seem to have missed a few here in the last days of the trip.

Day 6
We kayaked across Kealakekua Bay. This bay is loaded with history including the bones of the man who discovered the islands for the Western world, Captain Cook.
Now, everytime someone would say Captain Cook I immediately thought of Captain Hook and was very confused because I had always thought him to be fictional.




The giant hole in the side of the hill is apparently due to some drunk sailors shooting a canon ball at the hill side.


Look out a shark . .. just kidding we didn't see any sharks while we were in the water. But apparently they are becoming a problem due to the rampant number of turtles this year.


Crazy spider with a zipper net.


Captain Cook memorial, British soil.


The supposed spot Captain Cook was last seen.


Or was it here? I'm not sure what this X is for but it's right near the memorial stone. No explanation was given.

Day 7
This was the day we decided to do some things around the property . . . I thought they meant projects. . . turns out they meant naps. But in the evening we went to the end of the world for some cliff diving.





I did not do any jumping here. I'm not that kind of girl. I'm the stand-on-the-other-cliff-at-a-safe-distance-from-the-edge-and-ensure-that-at-least-one-parent-survives-to-continue-raising-the-children, kind of girl.


I was really irritated with my camera on this little part of our trip. I was trying to get it to take several pictures at a time but I couldn't find the setting so the only pictures I got were just as they jumped and just after nothing in mid-air. Bummer. . .


Day 8
Here I am jumping back into this post and it has been months since our trip but I still wanted to share these last few pictures with you. So I really don't remember what we did on the 8th or the 9th days but I'll tell ya what the pictures are.


This is on the property just to the left of this is the house and to the right is the carport.


Here we are trying a local drink that I don't recall the name of, but it is supposed to have a very calming effect on you. Tastes just like drinking out of a muddy puddle. . .sounds great doesn't it? Well the fruit helps and that's part of the reason I shared one with my Beloved.


The men pondering life and our tiny existence.




And a farewell kiss to the Island.


A dolphin, shark, whale or marlin jumping the setting sun. We have a cow jumping over the moon they have a giant fish. . . makes sense.




One last stop at Kaya's before heading to the airport in the morning. Delicious coffee, one of the things I really wish I would have brought home, and such a welcoming and happy atmosphere in there too.

And then we were home. We got home around 11 at night and did our best to wait until morning to go get our girls from my Dad's. We seriously considered just driving out and climbing into bed with them but in the end we figured that they would never get back to sleep and so we waited until morning. They were so cute, Beloise clapped her hand over her mouth while Ballerina screamed and hopped up and down. Oh sweet babies. Vacations are great but coming home to our sweet little girls is even better.

A big giant thank you to Nickle the Island Barbarian who was such a wonderful tour guide, author of our nightly serenades, and a welcoming and gracious host. We can't wait to come visit again! After you put up the shower curtain ; ) .

~And So That's What She Did.

No comments: